Bonnaroo 2011 kicked into high gear on Friday (June 10) with a full day of performances on the hot and dusty Manchester, Tenn. grounds. Sixty-five diverse artists, ranging from indie-rock darlings (Arcade Fire , the Decemberists ) to hip-hop heavyweights (Lil Wayne , Big Boi ) to electronic-music mavens (Ratatat , Pretty Lights ) kept the party going until the wee hours. Here's 10 highlights from the festival's second day:
1. Arcade Fire  singer Win Butler took time to praise Bonnaroo's diversity during their headlining slot. "Any festival where you can see My Morning Jacket  and Lil Wayne  is okay with me," he told the crowd.
2. As the rest of the band took the stage to begin Florence + the Machine 's set, singer Florence Welch held backstage for 45 seconds, sipping on water and hearing the crowd chant her name. When she did emerge, press photographers treated her like a 1950s movie star, with dozens of
snapshots taken before she walked onstage to wild cheers and began singing "Howl."
3. "American Idol" star David Archuleta  was spotted wandering around the press area mid-afternoon. The singer said that he hadnt initially planned the festival visit, he was popping by for the day, and that he was most excited to see Ray LaMontagne , the Decemberists  and Florence + the Machine .
4. Early in his set, Big Boi  started taking requests for the many "hit records" he had amassed as a solo artist and member of Outkast . After tons of shouted submissions, the rapper ended up on "Ms. Jackson."
5. Hours after her early afternoon set, Jessica Lee Mayfield  said that she couldn't wait to get home, take a shower and see "her baby," which was a green 1999 mustang. She showed off multiple pictures of the car on her phone like a proud parent.
6. Lil Wayne 's late night set was a pretty standard run through his I Am Still Music tour set, although he did play 'Carter IV' tracks like "How To Love" and "Drive."
7. After Grace Potter and the Nocturnals  tore through "Paris (Ooh La La)," the frontwoman headed to the side of the stage, took a swig of water and quickly shook hands with veteran porn star Ron Jeremy, who was watching admiringly from the side.
8. Most creative crowd control of the day: Atmosphere , who made sure everyone in the crowd made "some noise for the person standing next to you." Awkward yet congenial claps followed.
9. NOFX  leader Fat Mike was pounding vodka backstage before The group's evening set. The punk group's backstage area was also stocked full of gummy bears.
10. Bonnaroo showcased many nemorable fan costumes, but the most head-scratching was the guy dressed as deadmau5 , complete with glittery body and disco ball head. An interesting display of fandom, considering that the Canadian dance producer isn't even playing Bonnaroo this year.
- News