Dixie Chicks  member Martie Maguire admits to finding herself like a lot of the trio's fans when watching their new "Storytellers" DVD, released just in time for the holiday season. "As I watch it, I get very emotional. We've been on a hiatus since 2007 -just playing a few shows here and there. Watching it is like watching home movies. You get really sentimental. You laugh at something Natalie, Emily, or I said, then you pick it apart, as if to say 'I can't believe I wore those pants.' Every time we do play now, all these emotions came back."
To celebrate the release, Billboard.com is giving away one Dixie Chicks Storytellers prize pack that includes the new DVD, a poster signed by all three of the members, and an Essential Dixie Chicks album. Two other runners up will win the "Storytellers" DVD. Just fill in the form below for your chance to win.
Maguire tells Billboard that the 2006 concert / VH1 special was something they wanted to be a nice package for their fans, henceforth the wait.
"It's actually been coming for a long time," she says. "We held up the process procrastinating on the artwork. We wanted it to be really special. We actually approved the show a couple of years ago, and it took that long to get it out."
It's the first new release for the Grammy-winning trio in a while, and Maguire hopes their fans will be pleased. "We thought it would be good for the fans to have something new out. Even though it was from 2006, it was the only show we talked about the songs, and why we wrote them. You also get into our personalities, and if you came to a show, there's not enough time for that."
Viewers of the disc will find out some interesting Chicks-related trivia. For example, "The Long Way Around," from their 2006 disc "Taking The Long Way," was actually a much longer song at the beginning. Maguire says there were several pages of lyrics of the song, similar to the way Loretta Lynn edited several verses from the original writing of "Coal Miners' Daughter." That being said, Maguire adds that it was a very personal piece of music.
"We were diving into our beginnings as a band - riding around in a RV, That song takes you on a journey from our inception," she say. "There was a lot to say. It was a long journey. We like to write songs about a specific person or a specific something that happened to us. I think a lot of writers like to do that. Rick Rubin always told us to 'Write about you or people will know it's not personal, and they won't feel an attachment to it.' I always felt he was really wise with that piece of advice."
The DVD includes many cuts from "Taking The Long Way," but also reaches back to the days when they were one of the most talented acts on country radio with tracks like "Cowboy Take Me Away" and "Wide Open Spaces" featured on the disc. Their music continues to influence acts to this day. Go to any club on Broadway in Nashville, and you will still hear new female artists singing Dixie Chicks songs. That makes Maguire proud.
"I remember someone doing 'Sin Wagon' on American Idol. I thought 'Oh, my gosh! Maybe we're not that old! Maybe we're still relevant. I've been in this business since I was nineteen, and it's been a long journey."
Maguire adds that the ups and downs have all been worth it. "I'm happy with the peaks and the valleys. I think it's all part of your path and your career. Look at someone like Emmylou Harris- she still wants to tour. I would love to be in that space when I'm her age hopefully. We did a Courtyard Hounds show with her at a winery. She was on a bus with her band, got dressed in the same size dressing room that we were. She looked liked she loved it. That inspired me to continue. She's an artist who her songs pinpoint times in my life that were so monumental and shaped me so much. I can only hope we sing songs that make people feel a certain way when we sing them."
So, what's next for the Dixie Chicks? Maguire says it's all up to lead singer Natalie Maines. Natalie is the one that wants the hiatus right now. Emily and I have made it no secret that we live and breathe music. I feel like I'm missing an arm and a leg. We felt like the Courtyard Hounds thing made sense. It was so fun. I feel like I've gotten to know Emily so much better. We tried to organize a mini-tour with another artist for next summer, but I don't know if it will materialize because the artist hasn't finished an album they want to finish. We're trying to keep our toes in the water while we take time with our families. So, we're waiting on Natalie to say 'Ok, guys. I'm ready. Emily and I realize we can't force that. We're friends first, and the band's too important, so we're waiting on her!"Dixie Chicks Storytellers Sweepstakes Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL, AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
Dixie Chicks Storytellers Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") begins at 12:00pm EST on Dec. 8, 2011 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on Jan. 3, 2012 (the "Sweepstakes Period"). The sponsor of the Sweepstakes is Prometheus Global Media, LLC ("Sponsor") located at 770 Broadway New York, NY 10003. Entrants will be directed to the Sweepstakes Page to enter via editorial features on Billboard.com.
1. ELIGIBILITY: VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. The Sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 or older on the date of entry. Employees, officers, directors, representatives, independent contractors, interns and immediate family members of Sponsor, Sony Music Entertainment ("SME") and each of their affiliates and subsidiaries are not eligible to participate. Any entrant who has won a prize from Sponsor within the last three (3) months is not eligible. By entering, each entrant (the "Entrant") acknowledges acceptance of and compliance with these official rules (the "Official Rules"). Entrants agree to the release of their name, phone number, zip code and email information to Sponsor for purposes of winner notification and for public winner disclosure as required by law. This Promotion is void outside the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited
2. HOW TO ENTER: You may only enter online by completing and submitting the information requested on the entry page located at (the "Giveaway Page"). All entries must contain a valid email address. ONLY ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON PER DAY WILL BE ACCEPTED DURING THE ENTRY PERIOD. Entries will be disqualified, in the sole discretion of Sponsor, if attempts are made to disrupt the Sweepstakes or circumvent the terms and conditions of these Official Rules. If that occurs, Sponsor reserves the right to remedy any such action, disruption or circumvention in a manner determined solely by Sponsor.
3. PRIZES AND WINNER SELECTION: The Winners will be selected from random drawings held on or around Jan. 4, 2011 from all eligible entries received. Sponsor is not responsible for lost or stolen entries. For purposes of this Sweepstakes a 'day' is 12:00:01 AM ET through 11:59:59 PM ET. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Winner will be notified by e-mail or telephone, as determined in the sole discretion of Sponsor. Winners will have 10 days from the date of attempted notification to respond to the notification. Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, misdirected or unsuccessful efforts to notify winners. Unless prohibited by law, winners will be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and a publicity/liability release within 14 days of the date the affidavit and release are mailed. Each winner may also be required to provide Sponsor with proof that he or she is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. If a selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim a prize, or fails to return a completed and executed affidavit and release as required, an alternate winner may be selected.
One (1) Grand Prize will be awarded in the Sweepstakes. The "Grand Prize" consists of One (1) "Dixie Chicks Storytellers" DVD, one (1) copy of "The Essential Dixie Chicks" on CD, and one (1) poster signed by the Dixie Chicks. The total approximate retail value of the Grand Prize is $41.98. Two (2) First Prizes will be awarded in the Sweepstakes. The "First Prize" consists of One (1) "Dixie Chicks Storytellers" DVD. The total approximate retail value of the First Prize is $15.99. The approximate retail value (ARV) of all of the prizes is Seventy-Three Dollars and Ninety-Six Cents ($73.96).
Sweepstakes prizes are not transferable or assignable and are not redeemable for cash. All winners are responsible for the payment of any and all taxes, licenses and all other fees that may apply to winnings. Taxes on prizes are solely the responsibility of the winners. Sponsor reserves the right to replace the advertised prizes with another prize of equal or greater value. Sponsor is not responsible for replacing any lost or stolen elements of any prize. Except where prohibited by law, acceptance of any prize constitutes permission for Sponsor to use the winners names, photographs, likenesses, voices, addresses (only city and state),and testimonials in print, broadcast or any other media, in perpetuity, in any manner in connection with promoting the Sweepstakes or any other sweepstakes or promotion without further compensation.
4. CONDITIONS: By entering, participants agree to be bound by these complete Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final. All federal, state, and local laws apply. Sponsor and their parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, sponsors, employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents and representatives are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (i) late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible or unintelligible entries; (ii) failed, returned, or misdirected notifications based on inaccurate information provided by the winners; or (iii) telephone, electronic, hardware, or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties; (iv) errors in transmission; (v) any condition that may cause the Sweepstakes to be disrupted or corrupted; (vi) any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind caused by a prize or resulting from acceptance, possession, or use of a prize, or from participation in the Sweepstakes; (iv) any injury or damage to entrant's or any other computer related to or resulting from downloading any part of this Sweepstakes, or (v) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Sweepstakes. Entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.. Computer entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder" means the natural person who is assigned to the e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
SPONSOR ENTITIES MAKE NO WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, AS REGARDS THIS PROMOTION OR THE MERCHANTABILITY, QUALITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE REGARDING ANY PRIZE OR ANY COMPONENT OF ANY PRIZE. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ATTORNEYS' FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
5. RELEASES: Sponsor, SME, those involved in the development, production (including prize suppliers), implementation and distribution of this Sweepstakes and their parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, service providers, agencies and any other person or entity associated with those entities (the "Sweepstakes Entities") shall not be liable for any and all claims, damages, losses or injuries, liabilities, costs and fees, including any third party claims, arising from or relating to, in whole or in part, this Sweepstakes, including entry and participation is this Sweepstakes and acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prizes. Entrants shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Sweepstakes Entities from and against, and hereby releases each of them from liability in connection with, any third party claims, damages, losses or injuries, arising from or relating to this Sweepstakes, including attorneys' fees related thereto. Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with this Sweepstakes will be ineligible for prizes and may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend this Sweepstakes should viruses, bugs or other causes beyond its control corrupt the administration or security of the Sweepstakes. Sponsor reserves the right to modify the rules of the Sweepstakes in any way or at any time.
6. GOVERNING LAW: The Sweepstakes shall be governed by New York law, without regard to its conflicts of laws principles. Entrants irrevocable consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal and state courts located in New York County, NY, which shall have exclusive jurisdiction to adjudicate all matters involving the Sweepstakes, Sponsor and entrants. Any claims regarding the Sweepstakes must be brought individually (not as part of a class action). Entrants agree that any recovery shall be limited to actual out of pocket costs involved in participating in the Sweepstakes and specifically waive rights to other damages (including, without limitation, incidental, consequential, punitive or special damages).
7. WINNER LIST: For the name and city/state of residence of Winner, send a self-addressed, stamped, #10 envelope (after Jan. 4, 2012 but no later than March 4, 2012) to: Katie Morse, ATTN. Dixie Chicks Winner, Billboard, 770 Broadway New York, NY 10003. VT residents may omit return postage. Do not send any other correspondence to this address.
9. SPONSOR: The sponsor of the Sweepstakes is Prometheus Global Media, LLC located at 770 Broadway New York, NY 10003.
- The 615