Nominations for the 83rd Academy awards, which take place on February 27, were announced today and included the music categories Best Original Score and Original Song.
Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor received a nomination for Best Original Score for his work with Atticus Ross on the music for "The Social Network," which also won this year's Golden Globe award. Also nominated were category mainstays Hans Zimmer and A.R. Rahman.
Nominations for Best Original Song include "Coming Home" performed by actress Gwyneth Paltrow in the film "Country Strong," Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi's renditions of "I See the Light" from the animated film "Tangled," "If I Rise" from "127 Hours" performed by Dido, and "We Belong Together," written and performed by perennial nominee Randy Newman.
Complete music nominations:
Achievement In Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song)
- Coming Home from Country Strong (Sony Pictures Releasing (Screen Gems)) Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey
- I See the Light from Tangled (Walt Disney) Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater
- If I Rise from 127 Hours (Fox Searchlight) Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong
- We Belong Together from Toy Story 3 (Walt Disney) Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)
- How to Train Your Dragon (Paramount) John Powell
- Inception (Warner Bros.) Hans Zimmer
- The King's Speech (The Weinstein Company) Alexandre Desplat
- 127 Hours (Fox Searchlight) A.R. Rahman
- The Social Network (Sony Pictures Releasing) Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
See all nominations here.