Laneway Detroit Fest Canceled For 2014

The St. Jerome’s Laneway Festival won’t be returning to Detroit this year. 

Laneway has grown from a street party in Melbourne, Australia back in 2004 to a four-country, eight-city tour focused on independent rock acts, but it will side-step the U.S. in 2014 after organizers admitted they couldn’t secure a killer line-up.

The National, Sigur Ros Top Inaugural Laneway Festival Detroit Lineup

In a statement posted on the Laneway Detroit Website, organizers note that last year’s inaugural event was “a great success” and that this year’s U.S. show would be postponed “due to timing.” 

A separate message posted to Laneway’s Facebook page sheds some more light. 

“We tried to get the very few acts that we felt would be appropriate for Laneway and none of them were available,” says Lunatic Entertainment chief Danny Rogers in the statement. “We had one that went all the way to the wire and then changed its mind at the very last minute - bless their beautiful heart too, they were under so much pressure to be everywhere and anywhere and something had to give. We decided that we needed to be honest with ourselves and sit it out this year and review it again next year.”

Laneway Festival Launching in North America

Laneway is founded by Rogers and Jerome Borazio, and co-promoted with Chugg Entertainment in Australasia.

In a first for an Australian festival brand, Laneway expanded into the U.S. last year with a Sept. 14 show at the Meadow Brook Music Festival in suburban Detroit. Its bill included Chvrches, Flume, Deerhunter, Sigur Ros and The National, and nearly 7,500 people came through the gate, organizers say. “Our first venture into North America could not have gone better,” Rogers said at the time.

Laneway’s itinerary has Australian shows in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth; a date in Auckland, New Zealand, and a leg in Singapore.