After drawing approximately 12,000 concertgoers to last year's inaugural LA Weekly Detour Music Festival, held in the streets of downtown Los Angeles, this year's Oct. 6 event on Main and 1st Streets is expected to draw similar numbers, organizers tell Billboard.biz.

Thanks to a lineup that includes Bloc Party, Justice, Satellite Party, Kinky, the Comedians of Comedy, Turbonegro, Teddybears, Moving Units, the Raveonettes, Shout Out Louds and Autolux, ticket sales are "on par from last year," says Phil Blaine, director of festivals for Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice, which has partnered with LA Weekly to produce the event.

"At this point, 20,000 people is the most we'd want it to get to," Blaine says. "If there was a bigger band available we'd move it . . . but we're really in love with being right around City Hall."

Tickets for Detour went on sale Aug. 30 for $35.50, with a portion of the proceeds to benefit the non-profit organization Tree People, which works to find sustainable solutions to urban ecosystem problems.

In addition to live music performances, this year's festival will feature a Ferris wheel and large-scare installation art, similar to that seen at Goldenvoice's annual Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif.

This year's Detour will completely surround Los Angeles City Hall, whereas last year's covered 180 degrees, Blaine notes. "It's like a mini Coachella, six months after Coachella," says Goldenvoice's Donna Busch, who exclusively books Los Angeles' El Rey Theatre and the Music Box at the Fonda. "But because it's downtown, people can just drive there or take the metro. It's super easy."

There are challenges, however, in organizing a city-located music festival. Along with attaining the proper permits and collaborating with city officials, business owners and local residents to make sure everything runs smoothly, one main obstacle is closing off streets in downtown L.A.

Being that most downtown businesses don't shut down until 6 p.m., Goldenvoice can't start load-in until 8 p.m. on Friday (Oct. 5). "And we have to be up and running by noon on Saturday," Busch explains. "So the staff is working late into the night to get the stages built, and the sound and lights set up."

Meanwhile, when booking artists for this year's Detour, Busch took into account last year's 17- to 40-year-old demographic. "I picked new bands that are cool, and bands that people in that age group would want to see," she explains. "I just want it to be a fun show."

Part of the strategy was to align the right-sized acts with each of the festival's four stages and one DJ platform. "We can't really have bands that are too large, because each stage can only hold approximately 10,000 people," Busch says. "If you have a band that attracts 20,000 people and not everyone can see them, they'd be upset."

Last year's line-up included such acts as Beck, Queens of the Stone Age, Peeping Tom, Basement Jaxx and Of Montreal, among others.

Questions? Comments? Let us know: @billboardbiz

Print