Helicopter views of the collapsed stage at Downsview Park in Toronto Saturday (Video: Associated Press)
The repercussions from the stage collapse Saturday in Toronto before a Radiohead concert that injured three and killed the band's drum tech Scott Johnson are still echoing through, as police continue to seek witnesses and the figure out the exact cause of the problem. Sunday, Radiohead drummer Philip Selway released a statement on the band's official website, saying the band was "shattered" by Johnson's death.
"We have all been shattered by the loss of Scott Johnson, our friend and colleague. He was a lovely man, always positive, supportive and funny; a highly skilled and valued member of our great road crew. We will miss him very much. Our thoughts and love are with Scott's family and all those close to him," the statement read.
Johnson, who had also toured the world with Keane, among others, was helping to prepare the stage at around 4 p.m. when the "roof part of the stage collapsed," which had been rigged with lighting and other equipment, Toronto Fire Services spokesman Captain Mike Strapko told Reuters. The show -- set to be the band's last on their North American tour -- was cancelled.
As gates were set to open at 5 p.m. before the show, no fans were in the venue at the time of the collapse. Emergency personnel were on site already at the time of the accident and treated the injured staff, but Johnson was pronounced dead at the scene.
Constable Tony Vella said in a press conference following the tragedy that Toronto Fire Services, Police Services, and the Coroner's office would be jointly assisting an investigation, which would be looking in to what kind of permits were required and obtained; the exact number of people on and around the stage; who build the stage; who owned it; whether charges were pending, and other details. Several sources told Billboard.biz that the stage was provided by Optex Staging and assembled by crew from event-staffing company Nasco.