Perhaps it’s only fitting that George Jones, once nicknamed “No Show Jones,” won’t be physically present at what was to be his final concert.
But thanks to a few of his friends and fellow artists, the show will go on.
Jones’ farewell concert, which was set for Nov. 22, 2013 at Nashville's Bridgestone Arena, will continue as planned with one change: the show will now become a tribute to Jones, who died on April 26 at the age of 81.
"Everyone has been asking if we will still do the show," Nancy Jones, his widow and manager, says in a release. "I have asked Garth [Brooks], Kid Rock, Travis Tritt, The Oak Ridge Boys, Montgomery Gentry, Sam Moore, Charlie Daniels, Jamey Johnson and others, and they all said ‘yes, I am still going to do it,’ so with all the artists still planning on coming, we are going to honor George one final time."
For his part, Eddie Montgomery of Montgomery Gentry never doubted that the concert take place. “That’s still going to happen,” he told Billboard the day Jones died.
His partner, Troy Gentry agreed. “It should, to pay tribute to him. I can’t imagine that they would just shut that down.”
Tickets for the Nashville finale were sold out previously and a message on the Ticketmaster web site states that no tickets are available “right now.”
Dierks Bentley, Randy Travis, Kenny Rogers, Josh Turner and Lorrie Morgan were previously announced as taking part in the show prior to Jones’ death, but at press time, not all previously announced artists had been contacted. A list of all confirmed talent will be available at georgejones.com.
Jones was in the midst of a farewell tour when he died.