Mendip District Council, the local authority that licenses the Glastonbury Festival, says it is happy with the management of this year's event.

The three-day open-air festival (June 22-24), Europe's biggest, attracted a record 177,500 spectators, up from 150,000 in 2005. It took a break in 2006 to allow the grounds to regenerate.

Despite fears from some quarters that the management might not be able to control the larger crowd size, the council said it is "very pleased" with this year's Glastonbury.

"The extra numbers seem to have been effectively managed," said Charles Uzzell, council business manager for planning and environment, in a statement. "We will be reviewing this post event with the organizers, but we certainly have no significant concerns at this stage."

The statement added that complaints from local residents were "at low levels" with only 54 phone calls, mostly to make general inquiries.

The council's only major reservation was Bjork's performance on Friday night (June 22), which overran by 20 minutes and broke the 12.30am curfew. "This is a concern and we will be investigating the matter fully with organizers and the police," Uzzell added.

This year's Glastonbury will also be memorable for taking place in one of the wettest weekends in its history. Despite organizers' spending a reported £750,000 ($1.5 million) on flood-prevention procedures, torrential rain again turned the site into a mud bath.

Although not as severe as the 2005 storms that destroyed camping sites, 1,000-plus festival-goers reported injuries. But the number of crimes reported to the police fell to 236, compared with 267 in 2005.

The festival has taken place on the dairy farm of its founder Michael Eavis since it launched in 1970. This year's headliners included the Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Amy Winehouse, and the Who.

Earlier this year, Mendip District Council renewed Glastonbury's license for another three years, including the 2007 edition.