Despite attempts to reschedule the show, Celine Dion's "Taking Chances" Beijing April 13 concert has been canceled.

"Due to some difficulties in securing the appropriate venue, organizers for Celine's Beijing concert announced that the show originally scheduled to take place on April 13 has now been canceled," says a statement posted April 2 on Dion's Web site

Dion had been originally scheduled to perform at the Chinese capital's newly refurbished Workers' Stadium. But on April 1 Shanghai-based promoter Emma Ticketmaster said changes to the schedule of the Australian leg of her "Taking Chances" world tour had made it impossible for Dion to perform in Beijing on April 13, and that a new date would be announced soon.

"After further review it was decided that an indoor venue might be more suitable," the April 2 statement says. "However, nothing could be organized on such short notice."

The statement denies claims in the local media that Dion canceled the show due to sandstorms in Beijing, and says that Dion will visit the Chinese capital on April 12 to be interviewed by well-known media personality Yang Lan on her "One on One" TV show.

"I'm really sorry that things couldn't be worked out for the concert in Beijing," said Dion. "I was really looking forward to it. At least I will get a chance to visit Beijing and continue to make plans for a future concert."

In a message posted on its Web site, Emma Ticketmaster says it will "fully refund according to the face value of the tickets and provide equivalent amount of complimentary Beijing Super Moto GP tickets for goodwill."

Dion's concert at Shanghai Stadium, which will be her mainland China debut, is still scheduled for April 11.

Questions? Comments? Let us know: @billboardbiz

Print