Chris Brown released a public apology today (July 20) via video, the first since the domestic altercation between him and Rihanna that took
place earlier this year.
"I've told Rihanna countless times and I'm telling you today, I'm truly, truly sorry that I wasn't able to handle the situation both differently and better," Brown, dressed in a burnt orange, long-sleeved shirt with buttons, says as he talked directly into the camera.
During the two-minute clip, which first appeared on the website TMZ.com, Brown first explains that his attorney advised him to not speak about the situation until the legal ramifications were settled, but that ever since the February incident he's wanted to speak about the matter. "I felt it was time you heard directly from me that I am sorry. I wanted to express my deepest regret and accept full responsibility," he says.
On the eve of the 2009 Grammy Awards, Brown and Rihanna allegedly engaged in an altercation that left Rihanna with facial contusions, including a busted lip and a black eye. Last month, Brown pleaded guilty to one count of felony assault. The plea includes five years of supervised probation and six months of community labor. Brown will be formally sentenced on Aug. 5.
In May, Brown released his first public comment via another video, in which he announced he was working on an album for a late summer release. The album is tentatively titled "Graffiti," although label reps wouldn't confirm at press time.
In that same video, Brown briefly addressed the assault case, stating, "I ain't a monster."
"I've let a lot of people down, but no one has been more disappointed than I am," Brown remorsefully continues in the latest clip. "I sought and continue to seek help to assure that what occurred in February will never happen again. I can only ask and pray that you forgive me, please."