Music players typically evolve as the mediums that the music is stored upon changes over time. Turntables led to cassette players, which then led to CD players and eventually the MP3 player. Shazam is hoping the next step is the Shazam Player.
The new Shazam player features playlists, charts, and social integration.
Shazam Player takes your existing playlists from iTunes, or any new playlists created within the player, and provides the following six core features:
· LyricPlay: Literally "plays" lyrics in a karaoke-style display. Lyrics can appear in several different formats and takes colors from the album artwork to make each one a unique experience. Presently there are over 50,000 lyrics to play, which have been made available and licensed from LyricFinder.
· Facebook & Twitter Integration: Ability to share your music to the social networks
· YouTube: Ability to watch YouTube videos that match the song and artist
· Bio / Review: Read reviews and biographies of your artists powered by Rovi
· Tour Dates: View upcoming and nearby tour dates with links to purchase tickets powered by BandsInTown
· Lyrics Sheet: Provides a static lyric display, as opposed to "playing" them in LyricPlay
There are also features to build playlists of your favorite tracks (the "good list"), and hide tracks you don't want to hear (the "bad list"). An iTunes Store integration allows users to purchase further tracks or an entire album.
"Eight percent of the people who Shazam a song go on to buy it," claims David Jones, Shazam's Executive Vice President of Marketing. "That equates to over 300,000 songs and over $100 million a year in music sales."
Shazam says its application has presently has over 165 million users, with 1.5 million joining each week and 35 million tracks tagged weekly. Shazam has decided to launch Shazam Player as a separate and completely free app to attract new users, but both the original Shazam app and Shazam Player are integrated with each other.
Shazam Player is available for free and can be downloaded from the App Store on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch or at the iTunes Store.