The next digital-music disruption could come from one of the five finalists in the Innovators Showcase at Billboard's upcoming FutureSound conference.
GetMixxd, Playground.fm, Swarm.fm, Tixie and Tunezy were chosen from a group of 67 nominees to pitch their product or service to a panel of music technology experts at the conference, which takes place November 15 and 16 in San Francisco. Eligible companies had to be pre-revenue with a working prototype or product demo to display.
Billboard's FutureSound Conference takes place November 15-16 in San Francisco. FutureSound will feature keynotes from the top minds in investment, technology and music today. Use Promo Code Biz 12 to save $50. Click HERE for more info.
The finalists will have the opportunity to pitch their product/service onstage to a group of judges and receive a dedicated exhibit table for the duration of the event, with one being named the winner. All other applicants that register for the conference will have the opportunity to get a free display table in a special Innovators Showcase section of the conference exhibit area.
The five finalists are:
- GetMixxd is a service that allows people to send an online postcard that plays music. The service uses a proprietary algorithm that utilizes song lyrics, message text and Facebook likes to provide relevant songs for each postcard. Each card has a space for
advertising that can be geo-targeted.
- Playground.fm is an iPhone app that learns about a user's musical tastes -- by analyzing listening trends on iPhone, Spotify, Rdio and more -- and recommends playlists other Playground users have created. The app taps into Spotify premium accounts.
- Swarm.fm is a music discovery tool that aggregates information and content from across the web. It recommends new releases by new and familiar artists, shows friends' recent listening activity and reveals which artists your friends have recently discovered. The service is currently available only as a Spotify app. Other platforms are coming soon.
- Tixie is a website and iPhone app for buying or playing to win tickets to live events. Users bid on shows they want to see with their daily allotment of daily tokens; winners receive two tickets to the show. The service currently has shows in 8 markets including San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas and Atlanta.
- Tunezy is a social e-commerce platform for musicians. The platform helps musicians sell fan experiences, merchandise, and online performances. Fans can use the platform to get exclusive access and discounts in exchange for promoting their favorite artists
The judges for the Showcase competition are:
- Larry Marcus, Managing Director, Walden VC
- David Kusak, Founder, Digital Cowboys
- Brian Zisk, Founder, SFMusicTech
- Yi Ping Ho, Senior Dir. Digital Strategy & Business Development, Warner
- Ted Cohen, Managing Partner, TAG Strategic
The five finalists were chosen from 67 nominees that span the music industry, from web creative and web design to on-site distribution of live concert recordings. Here's a list of all the nominees.
Artisthead Music, LLC.
Boom Labs Inc
Creative Power LLC
Get My Band
Global Traxxtion Inc.
Hear It Local
I Love This Music
Mashup Media Inc.
Migratory Music, LLC
MP4SLS Private Limited
Muzieo Media inc.
Presskit.to - by Indie Ambassador
Realizing Entertainment As Life
Split Sheetz, LLC
The Scorpio Collective
Tutti Dynamics Inc.
Vintess Innovation Entertainment
Yoink Technologies, Inc.