Morning Fix: Suggestions for Thom Yorke’s Communications Chief; Vivendi Finalizes $1.3B Purchase of Legardere Stake; Beck’s Back This February

Get the Morning Fix Delivered
To Your Inbox HERE


BUSINESS MATTERS: IF I WERE THOM YORKE'S COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR

More than three months have passed since Thom Yorke and Nigel Godrich, his bandmate in Atoms for Peace and the producer of numerous Radiohead albums, announced they had pulled their songs from Spotify. Aided by additional public comments from Yorke, the topic has had a surprisingly long shelf life.  
Billboard.biz


VIVENDI FINALIZING $1.3 BILLION DEAL TO BUY LAGARDERE STAKE IN CANAL PLUS

Vivendi and Lagardere have nearly reached a deal over the minority stake in French pay-TV giant Canal Plus, following years of negotiations and a months-long legal battle over cash management between the two French media companies.Vivendi, which owns 80 percent of Canal Plus, will acquire the remaining 20 percent from Lagardere group for nearly $1.38 billion (€1 billion).
Billboard.biz


BECK SIGNS TO CAPITOL, ANNOUNCES NEW ALBUM FOR FEBRUARY

Beck has signed to Capitol Records, with an album of new material -- his first in nearly six years -- scheduled for February 2014. The album, titled "Morning Phase," is billed as a spiritual successor to "Sea Change," Beck's eighth album, even including many of the musicians who played on the 2002 release.
Billboard.biz


AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL 25TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERTS PLANNED

A meeting last week at Creative Artist Agency’s Los Angeles offices set in motion plans for a 25th Anniversary concert for international human rights organization Amnesty International, known for late ‘80s concerts and global tours featuring such artists as Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Peter Gabriel, and U2. 
Billboard.biz


LOU REED IN THE BILLBOARD ARCHIVES: INTERVIEWS WITH THE 'ROCK 'N' ROLL ANIMAL'; 'STREET HASSLE' AD; 'POP SPECIAL MERIT' FOR THE VELVET UNDERGROUND

In addition to his "perfect" Billboard chart history, the late-Lou Reed left a lasting legacy in Billboard magazine. Below are some excerpts culled from our archive on the ever-thoughtful, innovative and provocative rock & roll pioneer.
Billboard.biz


ROSS ON RADIO: FITTING EVERYWHERE BY FITTING NOWHERE

The folk/dance hybrid currently at No. 1 on the Mainstream Top 40 chart recalls another time of genre-busting nearly 30 years ago: Bruce Springsteen and Arthur Baker; Michael Jackson and Eddie Van Halen; Prince, with or without collaborators. And Avicii's "Wake Me Up" isn't the only song or artist collaboration defying genre at the moment. Billboard Top 40 Update's "Ross On Radio" column looks at the causes and finds that, oddly enough, it's easier to get on the radio now with a song that doesn't just fit in one place.   
Billboard.biz


CONRAD MURRAY, MICHAEL JACKSON'S DOCTOR, RELEASED FROM JAIL AFTER 2 YEARS

Conrad Murray was released from a downtown Los Angeles jail at 12:01 a.m., according to the sheriff's office. A change in California law allowed his incarceration time to be significantly cut down. "He was elated to be out of there," Murray's attorney Valerie Wass said.   
Billboard.biz


LIVER DISEASE KILLED LOU REED

Lou Reed succumbed to liver disease at his home in Long Island, New York, according to the late rocker's doctor. Dr. Charles Miller, who performed a liver transplant on Reed at the Cleveland Clinic in April (13), tells the New York Times that the rocker returned to Ohio last week for further treatment.
Star Pulse


SOUNDCLOUD NOW REACHES 250 MILLION VISITORS IN ITS QUEST TO BECOME THE AUDIO PLATFORM OF THE WEB

Back in July, SoundCloud announced that it has reached 200 million active listeners (monthly active users). But since then, the startup has grown substantially as it now reports 250 million listeners.
TechCrunch


MAXIS TIES UP WITH SPOTIFY

Maxis Bhd, the first telecommunications firm in [Malaysia], has teamed up with Spotify, the world’s largest music streaming service, to bring the world of music through the internet at anytime and anywhere on mobile devices at an irresistible price.
The Star


HOW SPOTIFY AND ITS DIGITAL MUSIC RIVALS CAN WIN OVER ARTISTS: 'JUST INCLUDE US'

For cellist Zoe Keating, its simple. "Just include us," she said last night during a debate organised by Virgin that brought musicians, managers and technology firms together for a discussion of music/tech disruption.
Guardian


STOP THE PRESSES!

  • You Too Can Own an Office Chair Made Out of an Ejector Seat
  • Britney Spears Music Being Blasted By Boats To Scare Off Somali Pirates?

Get the Best in Music in Print, Online and iPad
Subscribe To Billboard Here