Bound For Big Screen, Britney's Dubbed 'Worst Dressed'
There's good news and bad news this week for Britney Spears. The good news is that the teen pop sensation has signed to star in a feature film. The bad news is that she has the dubious honor of toppinThere's good news and bad news this week for Britney Spears. The good news is that the teen pop sensation has signed to star in a feature film. The bad news is that she has the dubious honor of topping Mr. Blackwell's annual "worst dressed" list.
Spears -- who began her entertainment career on Disney's "The Mickey Mouse Club," has appeared on "Sabrina, The Teenage Witch" and added her voice talents to "The Simpsons" -- will make her film debut as a student in a coming-of-age film, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Spears will use her musical talents in the film, which finds her character reuniting with friends for a cross-country trip, and competing in a music contest. "The Untitled Britney Spears Project" is said to have a $10 million budget.
As for Mr. Blackwell's list, the notorious fashion commentator placed Spears at No. 1 on his 41st annual tally, saying, "Oops, she did it again. Her bra-topped collection of Madonna rejects are pure fashion overkill."
Spears is in star-studded territory on the list, ranking among several other musical women -- Bjork, Madonna, Christina Aguilera, Courtney Love, and Mariah Carey -- as well as actresses Angelina Jolie and Elizabeth Hurley, radio host Dr. Laura Schlessinger, and Florida Secretary Of State Katherine Harris.
Here is Mr. Blackwell's list, complete with commentary.
1. Britney Spears: "Oops, she did it again. Her bra-topped collection of Madonna rejects are pure fashion overkill."
2. Angelina Jolie: "Fashion interrupted. Hit by a Gen-X Gothic hex."
3. Bjork: "She dances in the dark -- and dresses there, too. ... Let's dub her 'Alice in Blunderland.'"
4. Madonna: "From ghetto glam to rhinestone cowgirl to Mrs. Guy Ritchie. Any way you label it, she's still just kitschy, kitschy, kitschy."
5. Elizabeth Hurley: "Poor Liz, her barely there fashion bombs have hit a sour note -- a word of advice, buy a coat."
6. Christina Aguilera: "Is she a boring and body-baring bungle -- or just auditioning for 'Sheena, Queen Of The Jungle?'"
7. Dr. Laura Schlessinger: "When it comes down to fashion horror, no one does it better than Dr. Laura. A turtlenecked terror."
8. Courtney Love: "When push comes to shove, no one's fashion is tackier and wackier than funky, punky Love!"
9. Mariah Carey: "Her X-rated baby doll disasters are laughably low-rent. Who's her designer? Larry Flynt?"
10. Florida Secretary Of State Katherine Harris: "The pretty, brassy lassie from Tallahassee needs cosmetic direction."
Copyright 2001 Billboard.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. AP contributed to this report.