Honors, Reissues, & More For Beach Boys' 40thI
A bevy of Beach Boys activity can be expected in the coming months as the band celebrates its 40th anniversary. For starters, the legendary surf band will be among those receiving a Lifetime AchievemeA bevy of Beach Boys activity can be expected in the coming months as the band celebrates its 40th anniversary. For starters, the legendary surf band will be among those receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy/NARAS next month at the Grammy Awards, as previously reported.
Capitol Records will mark the anniversary by re-releasing 16 of the band's albums on eight discs. Each has been digitally remastered, and includes bonus tracks and/or alternate versions of the legendary band's hits, as well as track-by-track annotations. Four titles will be released March 13; the remaining four are due out April 10.
Here are the titles, with extra tracks listed in parentheses:
* "Surfin' Safari"/"Surfin USA" (with the bonus tracks "Cindy, Oh Cindy," "The Baker Man," and "Land Ahoy")
* "Surfer Girl"/"Shut Down Vol. 2" (with the single version of "Fun, Fun, Fun," a German version of "In My Room," and "I Do")
* "Smiley Smile"/"Wild Honey" (with two additional versions of "Good Vibrations," an alternate take of "Heroes And Villains," "You're Welcome," "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring," and "Can't Wait Too Long")
* "Party"/"Stack-O-Tracks" (with the bonus tracks "Help Me Rhonda," "California Girls," and "Our Car Club")
* "Friends"/"20/20" (with five bonus cuts, "Break Away," "Celebrate The News," "We're Together Again," "Walk On By," and "Old Folks At Home/Ol' Man River")
*"Beach Boys Concert"/"Live In London" (with "Don't Worry Baby" and "Heroes And Villains" added);
* "Little Deuce Coupe"/"All Summer Long" (with the single version of "Be True To Your School," and alternate versions of "Little Honda, "All Dressed Up For School," and "Don't Back Down")
* "The Beach Boys Today!"/"Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)" (with alternate takes of "Dance Dance Dance," "I'm So Young," and "Let Him Run Wild," as well as a studio version of "Graduation Day")
These "twofer" discs, already available in Canada through EMI, will complete the re-release of all of the original albums the legendary surf band recorded for Capitol, dating back to the 1960s, as well as all of the band's Brother Records catalog, released as twofers last year.
As previously reported, former Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson will be celebrated with a star-studded TNT tribute special to be taped March 29 at New York's Radio City Music Hall. An official announcement of the event is expected in mid-February.
In addition, the band's late drummer, Dennis Wilson, who drowned in 1983, will be remembered in a new book, "Dumb Angel: The Life & Music Of Dennis Wilson." The Adam Webb-penned book, which includes a forward by R.E.M.'s Peter Buck, will be published June 15 in the U.S. by Creation Books.