Ex-Beatle George Harrison says reports of his imminent death from cancer are false, and that he is "active and feeling very well in spite of the health challenges he has had this year," according to p
Ex-Beatle George Harrison says reports of his imminent death from cancer are false, and that he is "active and feeling very well in spite of the health challenges he has had this year," according to published accounts. London's Mail on Sunday newspaper had attributed quotes to Beatles producer Sir George Martin that Harrison was near death. "Martin ... has emphatically denied speaking to any newspaper," according to reports.
Earlier this month, Harrison, 58, confirmed that he had received radiotherapy treatment at the Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland in Bellinzona. He had surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., at the beginning of May to remove a cancerous growth from one of his lungs. Harrison also was treated for throat cancer in the late 1990s after he found a lump on his neck. He had surgery followed by two courses of radiation therapy at the Royal Marsden Hospital, Britain's leading cancer treatment center.
In 1999, Harrison suffered a punctured lung when he was stabbed by a man who broke into his home west of London. Michael Abram, 34, was acquitted by reason of insanity and confined to a mental hospital.
Earlier this year, the intensely private Harrison said: "I had a little throat cancer. I had a piece of my lung removed in 1997. And then I was almost murdered... But I seem to feel stronger. I don't smoke any more. I'm a little more short of breath than I used to be, so I don't see myself on stage lasting a full 14 rounds."