Anti-Castro Cuban exile groups accepted a compromise plan yesterday (Aug. 19) that would allow them to demonstrate across the street from the Latin Grammy Awards in Miami next month. The city-brokered

Anti-Castro Cuban exile groups accepted a compromise plan yesterday (Aug. 19) that would allow them to demonstrate across the street from the Latin Grammy Awards in Miami next month. The city-brokered agreement must still be approved by the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences (NARAS) and the Latin Recording Academy, which had wanted the protesters kept further away from the AmericanAirlines Arena.

Organizers, citing concerns about the safety of performers and guests, have threatened to move the Sept. 11 ceremony to another venue or even to Los Angeles. But the Cuban exiles balked at having their demonstrations in a designated area three blocks from the arena, said a spokeswoman for the American Civil Liberties Union.

Under yesterday's agreement, they would protest in front of the Freedom Tower -- a former immigration processing center that Cuban Americans call their Statue of Liberty.

Emilio Izquierdo Jr., a spokesman for the exile groups, said the city should never have agreed to keep the demonstrators away from the arena. He said the demonstration will be peaceful, so the academy should accept the protesters' presence. "If they decide not to have the Grammys here, it's not our fault," Izquierdo said. Grammy officials did not return calls yesterday.

As previously reported, Colombian Latin rock artist Juanes leads the nominees for this year's awards with seven. Spanish pop artist Alejandro Sanz earned five nods, while Aterciopelados, Gilberto Gil, Fito Paez, Gustavo Santaolalla, Paulina Rubio, and Caetano Veloso are up for three nominations each.


AP LogoCopyright 2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Questions? Comments? Let us know: @billboard

Print