Prince Died of Opioid Overdose, Tests Show

Courtesy Photo
Prince photographed in 2013.

Prince died of an opioid overdose, tests results seen by law enforcement officials show, according to The Associated Press. 

The iconic musician was found dead in his Minnesota home on the morning of April 21. 

In the the weeks following his death, it was widely reported the 57-year-old has been abusing painkillers. It was also reported Prince was scheduled to meet with an addiction specialist doctor on April 22. 

That doctor could not make it out to Prince fast enough, so the doctor sent his son to check on the musician. His son is the person who called 911 when Prince was found lifeless. The son had a controlled substance on his person that the doctor gave him for Prince.

A lawyer for the family said he fears the son will be charged, but has confidence the son will not be prosecuted since he was the person who called authorities.

The Carver County Sheriff's Office opened a criminal investigation shortly after the singer's death. A search warrant was issued, but the documents were sealed, so details are unclear. 

Since the investigation started, the Drug Enforcement Administration and additional federal authorities have begun working with the sheriff's office.  

Prince was cremated and a small service for family and close friends was held the weekend of his death.

Since his passing, members of his family have been in court in an attempt to procure portions of his estate. 

Last week, the judge overseeing the estate case authorized genetic testing of a blood sample take from Prince in case those results become necessary in determining who is entitled to shares of his estate.

This article originally appeared on The Hollywood Reporter