Madonna has decided to withdraw the violent, anti-war video for her new single "American Life" out of respect for the troops fighting in Iraq. In a statement posted yesterday (March 31) on her officia
Madonna has decided to withdraw the violent, anti-war video for her new single "American Life" out of respect for the troops fighting in Iraq. In a statement posted yesterday (March 31) on her official Web site, the singer said the video was filmed before the war started and was not appropriate to air at this time.
"Due to the volatile state of the world and out of sensitivity and respect to the armed forces, who I support and pray for, I do not want to risk offending anyone who might misinterpret the meaning of this video," Madonna said of the clip, which was set to premiere Friday on VH-1.
The video for the title track of a new album shows Madonna wearing military garb next to dancers in camouflage on a fashion runway. At one point, a grenade is thrown in the direction of a lookalike of President Bush. Scenes are intercut with images of war. The video also shows Madonna trapped in a bathroom stall, where she uses a knife to carve "protect me" on the wall.
The artists's accompanying "American Life" album arrives April 22 via Maverick. The single debuted last week at No. 90 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.