Britney Spears will drop her bid for a restraining order against the Japanese man she claimed had stalked her after lawyers for the two sides reached an agreement, a Los Angeles court spokesperson sai
Britney Spears will drop her bid for a restraining order against the Japanese man she claimed had stalked her after lawyers for the two sides reached an agreement, a Los Angeles court spokesperson said yesterday (April 16).
Attorneys for the 21-year-old singer were expected to file court papers tomorrow asking that the case be dismissed, the spokesperson said, but were not expected to release details of the out-of-court agreement. A spokesperson for Spears could not be reached for comment. Lawyers for Spears and Shizawa also could not be reached.
Spears went to court in December to request that 41-year-old Masahiko Shizawa of Yokohama, Japan, be ordered to stay at least 1,000 yards away and claiming that he had been "stalking" her for months.
Spears asserted in court papers that Shizawa had sent her hundreds of love notes, many with photographs of himself and one that said: "I'm chasing you." The Louisiana-born superstar also alleged that Shizawa had tracked her to the homes of her divorced parents, her Hollywood home, and a third residence.
But during a brief January court hearing, Shizawa's lawyer called the stalking allegations a "cultural misunderstanding" and insisted that his client -- reportedly a computer programmer -- had no intent to bother Spears.
COPYRIGHT: (c) Reuters 2003. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.