Seacrest Out: 'Idol' Host's Talk Show Canned
"American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest's foray into the world of television talk shows came to an end yesterday (July 27) as the low-rated "On-Air With Ryan Seacrest" was canceled."American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest's foray into the world of television talk shows came to an end yesterday (July 27) as the low-rated "On-Air With Ryan Seacrest" was canceled.
"It was our desire that the program would appeal to a wide array of viewers, but unfortunately, the marketplace's response was not as strong as we had hoped," the show's Fox-owned distributor, Twentieth Television, said in a statement.
The announcement came a day after news surfaced that the Sinclair Broadcast Group had pulled the show from more than 20 of its TV stations. It's unclear what will happen to the slots "On-Air" occupies on the Fox-owned stations such as WNYW New York, KTTV Los Angeles, WFLD Chicago, WTXF Philadelphia and WFXT Boston.
"On-Air" will cease production Thursday, but will continue to air a mix of original and repeat episodes until Sept. 17.
Twentieth Television last month picked up Seacrest's option to host a second season in a deal that pertained to Seacrest only and not the show itself. A spokesperson said the studio would continue its deal with Seacrest and would "welcome the opportunity to do another project with" him.
Seacrest will continue in his roles as host of Fox's primetime powerhouse "American Idol," which heads into its fourth season in January, and as morning disc jockey on KIIS-FM Los Angeles.