Cliff Richard Rejects Sexual Assault Allegation

Getty Images
 Cliff Richard performs on stage at Manchester Arena on June 2, 2013 in Manchester, England.

Cliff Richard says the sexual allegation against him is “completely false.”

British pop star Cliff Richard says police have questioned him about a sexual assault allegation.

Cliff Richard's House Searched in Sex Assault Investigation

A statement issued Sunday on behalf of Richard says the allegation that he assaulted a boy at a religious rally in Sheffield, northern England, in the 1980s is "completely false."

Police, who do not name suspects unless they are charged, said a 73-year-old man was interviewed under caution at a police station Saturday. He was not arrested.

Cliff Richard Is Brooklyn Bound, Thanks to Morrissey; Eyes More U.S. Dates

"Under caution" means the interview was recorded and could be used in future prosecutions.

Earlier this month police searched a house belonging to Richard near London after receiving what they called "an allegation of a sexual nature."


Richard was one of Britain's first rock stars in the 1950s and has recorded hit singles over the past six decades.