Update: Second Person Has Died Following Mad Decent Block Party
UPDATE: Police say a second person has died after apparently overdosing during a recent concert in Maryland. Police said in a statement Sunday that a 17-year-old male from Woodbridge, northern Virginia, became the second person to die of a suspected overdose following Friday's Mad Decent Block Party music festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia. The Howard County police statement, released online, said the teen's name was being withheld at the family's request. (AP)
A young man has died and 20 others were hospitalized after attending the Mad Decent Block Party at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Md., on Friday.
Twenty-year-old Tyler Fox Viscardi was rushed from the concert to a hospital and pronounced dead at around 9 p.m. on Aug. 1, according to police. His death came as a result of a drug overdose, but police are still unclear on what specific drugs he took, according to the Baltimore Sun.
our hearts go out to everyone impacted by yesterday’s event. we are truly devastated.— blondre 3000 (@diplo) August 2, 2014
Twenty other concertgoers were taken to the hospital, many of which of which appeared to be suffering from drug overdoses. Police also issued 50 citations for underage drinking and made three arrests, the Sun reports.
Friday’s concert included performances by Diplo, Sleigh Bells, Flux Pavilion and Wolfgang Gartner.
Diplo, who helped found the Mad Decent Block Party, addressed the death and hospitalizations through Twitter on Saturday. “Our hearts go out to everyone impacted by yesterday's event. we are truly devastated,” the DJ/producer wrote.
Concert promoter Seth Hurwitz, chairman of I.M.P. and operator of Merriweather Post Pavilion, also released a statement about the incident.
"Our hearts go out to the family as they face the unimaginable," Hurwitz said. "As a parent, it makes me horribly sad beyond words to think of a tragedy like this. We can spend every minute of the day making perfect sense to our children regarding the obvious perils of drugs, but sometimes it is impossible to convince them that this is relevant to their world."
"This particular type of incident is not the problem of those who should have known better...it's the problem of those too young to believe it could happen to them," he continued. "Sadly we find ourselves in the classic position of trying to tell kids not to do something they think is fun."