Beck's quirky sheet music project is about to come to life
Back in 2012, Beck released a little experiment "album" that existed solely in the form of sheet music. Now, two years later, "Song Reader" is getting a proper release, with an impressive, genre-hopping cast of characters bringing the tracks to life.
Due out in less than three weeks (July 29) via Capitol, "Song Reader" features 20 songs, with Beck handing off all but one of them to other musicians. Jack White and Jack Black are both credited with tracks of their own. Other notables include fun., Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, Norah Jones, Pulp's Jarvis Cocker, Juanes and Laura Marling.
Beck says via press release:
"It amazes me to hear how these musicians have made the songs their own and in the process revealed that the interpretation is the living breathing soul of the piece… These interpretations have made the book something new -- something better."
Of course, this isn't the first 2014 release from Beck. His LP "Morning Phase" debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 back in March, marking his second-highest charting release to date. He also scored a Billboard cover earlier this year.
Here is the complete tracklisting:
- Moses Sumney: "Title of this Song"
- Fun.: "Please Leave A Light On When You Go"
- Tweedy: "The Wolf is on the Hill"
- Norah Jones: "Just Noise"
- Lord Huron: "Last Night You Were A Dream"
- Bob Forrest: "Saint Dude"
- Jack White: "I’m Down"
- Beck: "Heaven’s Ladder"
- Juanes: "Don’t Act Like Your Heart Isn’t Hard"
- Laura Marling: "Sorry"
- Jarvis Cocker: "Eyes That Say 'I Love You'"
- David Johansen: "Rough On Rats"
- Jason Isbell: "Now That Your Dollar Bills Have Sprouted Wings"
- The Last Polka: "Marc Ribot"
- Eleanor Friedberger: "Old Shanghai"
- Sparks: "Why Did You Make Me Care?"
- Swamp Dogg: "America, Here’s My Boy"
- Jack Black: "We All Wear Cloaks"
- Loudon Wainwright III: "Do We? We Do"
- Gabriel Kahane with Ymusic: "Mutilation Rag"