Angaleena Presley Announces Debut Solo Album 'American Middle Class'
Kentucky native Angaleena Presley first made waves as one-third of Pistol Annies along with Ashley Monroe and Miranda Lambert. Now, the traditional stylist will follow in the paths of her Annies partners with the release of her very first solo album, "American Middle Class," on October 14.
Released on Slate Creek Records through a distribution agreement with Thirty Tigers, Presley calls the album a concept record that tells the story of her life – so far. "It’s like my autobiography – each of the songs is a chapter of my life.I’ve literally lived every minute of this record,” says the coal miner’s daughter, hailing from Beauty, Kentucky. “My mama ain’t none too happy about me spreading my business around but I have to do it,” Presley says.
Presley enjoyed creative freedom making "American Middle Class," producing the disc herself – along with her husband, Jordan Powell. She also attracted artists like Chris Stapleton, Indigo Girls member Emily Saliers to appear on the album, which also includes a vocal narrative by her father, Jimmy Presley, on the title track of the record, which also features an appearance from the legendary Patty Loveless. In the heat-tugging lyrics, Presley recalls her mother slicing the label off worn-out Keds and putting them on canvas shoes from the dollar store and owning only one pair of brand-name jeans while her father struggled with lay-offs. “We were raised to succeed,” Presley says of a new kind of Appalachian generation. “My parents knew we could fake it ‘til we make it, and we always knew how to work.” She wrote the cut – along with four others – by herself, and collaborated with writers such as Luke Laird, Mark D.Sanders, and Lori McKenna on the other seven. NSAI Hall of Fame member Matraca Berg collaborated with Presley on “Life Of The Party,” a true-to-life story about the repercussions of the Morning After.
Look for the singer-songwriter, known as “Holler Annie” in the Pistol Annies to be taking her new music on the road soon. It’s where she says she feels at home.“Playing live is the ultimate connection for a songwriter,” she says, “you get to see firsthand how your songs affect someone and I love it.” Presley recently announced several Indigo Girls dates and will soon reveal fall tour plans.
The tracklist for "American Middle Class" is as follows:
1. "Ain't No Man," written by Angaleena Presley
2. "All I Ever Wanted," written by Angaleena Presely
3. "Grocery Store," written by Angaleena Presley and Lori McKenna
4. "American Middle Class," written by Angaleena Presley
5. "Dry County Blues," written by Angaleena Presley and Mark D. Sanders
6. "Pain Pills" written by Angaleena Presley
7. "Life of the Party," written by Angaleena Presley and Matraca Berg
8. "Knocked Up," written by Angaleena Presley and Mark D. Sanders
9. "Better Off Red," written by Angaleena Presley
10. "Drunk," written by Angaleena Presley and Sarah Siskind
11. "Blessing and a Curse," written by Angaleena Presley and Bob DiPiero
12. "Surrender," written by Luke Laird, Barry Dean, and Angaleena Presley