Paul McCartney Recovering After Japan Hospital Visit for Virus
Paul McCartney is on the mend after seeking treatment for a virus he contracted in Japan. A spokesperson for the rock legend confirmed in a statement to Billboard that he was hospitalized in Tokyo due to an illness that led to the postponement of several concert dates. His treatment has been touted as "successful" but no other specifics of his ailment were given.
"He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days rest," his rep said. "Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world."
Earlier Thursday, an article posted by the website of the Japan-based newspaper Sankei Sports reported that the 71-year-old McCartney was admitted to a hospital some time this week. The translation of the article cited diarrhea and vomiting among his ailments and noted that the icon was admitted "on the safe side."
The newspaper is known by its nickname, Sanspo, and covers sports, however it has posted several articles and tweets about McCartney's visit to Japan.
Earlier this week, McCartney announced that he was calling off two concerts in Japan, as well as a May 28th show in Seoul, due to health problems. It would have been his first concert in the South Korean capital.
In announcing the Seoul cancellation, a spokesperson explained that McCartney came down with a virus in Japan and has been ordered by doctors to rest. "Paul is still not feeling better," the statement said.
McCartney added, "I’m sorry to be letting fans down. I'm very disappointed by this and hope to be able to visit soon."
The Rock Hall of Famer will resume his Out There tour June 14 in Lubbock, Texas. The tour ends Aug. 13 at San Francisco's Candlestick Park.