Sounds Of The Underground Returning This Summer
The second edition of the Sounds of the Underground tour will again provide a summer home for some of the "bastard children of hard rock," as described by Tim Borror of booking agency the Agency GroupThe second edition of the Sounds of the Underground tour will again provide a summer home for some of the "bastard children of hard rock," as described by Tim Borror of booking agency the Agency Group.
The tour is tentatively set to begin July 7 and will include 25-30 shows. Confirmed acts include As I Lay Dying, In Flames, Trivium, Cannibal Corpse, GWAR, Terror, the Black Dahlia Murder, the Chariot and Through the Eyes of the Dead.
The tour will stop at a variety of venues, including indoor and outdoor sites ranging from parking lots to civic centers and cut-down arenas. Capacity will be in the 5,000-seat range.
The audience is ready and waiting, as indicated by buzz on hard music Web sites and chat rooms. "There's already a little culture developing around this tour," Borror says. "This is a tour for a group of kids that didn't have something they could call their own before."
Similarly, SOTU has provided a touring platform for bands that do not nail down slots on other large festival tours. With a somewhat harder edge than Ozzfest and a dash of the punk spirit that pervades the Vans Warped tour, SOTU has created its own niche.
Borror describes 2006 as a "transition year" for SOTU. "I don't think it will be so much bigger than last year, but what I think we can do is etch our permanent place in the framework here and set ourselves up to continue to grow," he says.