Little Steven's Underground Garage
Jack White is taking a minute away from the White Stripes (his bandmate Meg is the cruelest of taskmasters), to hang out with the Raconteurs, who top our chart this week.WELCOME, fellow freaks, misfits and outcasts. Jack White is taking a minute away from the White Stripes (his bandmate Meg is the cruelest of taskmasters), to hang out with the Raconteurs, who top our chart this week.
I guess the term "supergroup" is an oxymoron in Garageville (good name for a band: Tonight! Oxymoron! With special guests Flummox & the Juxtapositions!) So it is White with the rhythm section of the Greenhornes, Patrick Keeler and Jack Lawrence, and solo artist Brendan Benson, who just happens to have produced the Greenhornes' recent EP "East Grand Blues."
The Raconteurs' album "Broken Boy Soldiers" is scheduled for a May release. Touring-wise, the only show I have heard about is an April 7 date at Irving Plaza in New York.
Ray Davies' sold-out New York shows had the most rabid audience I have ever seen, screaming every word of the Kinks stuff and the new album... The Len Price 3 made 'em crazy at SXSW... Willie Nile, too... The Strokes tour is selling out everywhere... The Chesterfield Kings are in the studio attempting to out-psychedelicize their last "Mindbending" classic... Look for a new Joan Jett & the Blackhearts disc at the end of May. She is on the Vans Warped tour starting around June 15, so catch her if you can. She just keeps getting better.
See you next week.
COOLEST GARAGE SONGS
1. "STEADY, AS SHE GOES," THE RACONTEURS (V2)
(Coolest Song In The World This Week)
2. "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor," Arctic Monkeys (Domino)
3. "Walk Of Fame," Boink! (Teenacide)
4. "Welcome To My Head," Willie Nile (00:02:59)
5. "Chinese Burn," The Len Price 3 (Laughing Outlaw)
6. "All She Wrote," Ray Davies (V2)
7. "Galaxy Gramophone," The Soundtrack Of Our Lives (Warner Bros.)
8. "Razorblade," The Strokes (RCA)
9. "One Day," The Vacancies (Blackheart)
10. "Happy," Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes (Leyroy)
COOLEST GARAGE ALBUMS
1. "OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES," RAY DAVIES (V2)
2. "Streets Of New York," Willie Nile (00:02:59)
3. "First Impressions Of Earth," The Strokes (RCA)
4. "Chinese Burn," The Len Price 3 (Laughing Outlaw)
5. "Hey! It's A Teenacide Pajama Party!" Various Artists (Teenacide)
6. "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not," Arctic Monkeys (Domino)
7. "A Present From The Past," The Soundtrack Of Our Lives (Warner Bros.)
8. "Children Of Nuggets," Various Artists (Rhino)
9. "Into The Harbour," Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes (Leyroy)
10. "A Beat Missing Or A Silence Added," The Vacancies (Blackheart)