Little Steven's Underground Garage column ranks the "coolest" albums and singles.
WELCOME FELLOW FREAKS, misfits and outcasts.
The Vines are back with the just released "Vision Valley." Check out the video for "Don't Listen to the Radio" at thevines.com. No tour info is available yet.
They continue to be an interesting garage-punk mix of personal suffering and universal horror at the state of the world, and Craig Nicholls is still doing his best to disguise the fact that he's one of the best singers in rock'n'roll history.
Lollapalooza will be a three-day festival held Aug. 4-6 at Grant Park in Chicago, and the Raconteurs are playing.
I hope the profound paradigm shift of sponsors supporting new music as opposed to the tradition of making rich artists richer will keep ticket prices low this summer and enable hibernating rock freaks drowning in our permanently bad economy to come out and live.
I miss those mass shared experiences we used to have.
You know, like a band coming to your town before MTV took away the mystery. You couldn't wait to see them.
Or, seeing "Rocky" at the movies. Everybody screaming. It was cool.
I know: What we need is "Rocky VI"!
Oh, well, I guess that's as likely as Bon Jovi getting a hit on the country charts.
See you next week, baby!
1. "DON'T LISTEN TO THE RADIO," THE VINES (Capitol)
(Coolest Song In The World This Week)
2. "Steady, As She Goes," The Raconteurs (V2)
3. "Walk Of Fame," Boink! (Teenacide)
4. "Welcome To My Head," Willie Nile (00:02:59)
5. "Chinese Burn," The Len Price 3 (Laughing Outlaw)
6. "All She Wrote," Ray Davies (V2)
7. "Galaxy Gramophone," The Soundtrack Of Our Lives (Warner Bros.)
8. "Razorblade," The Strokes (RCA)
9. "One Day," The Vacancies (Blackheart)
10. "Happy," Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes (Leyroy)
1. "OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES," RAY DAVIES (V2)
2. "Streets Of New York," Willie Nile (00:02:59)
3. "First Impressions Of Earth," The Strokes (RCA)
4. "Chinese Burn," The Len Price 3 (Laughing Outlaw)
5. "Hey! It's A Teenacide Pajama Party!" Various Artists (Teenacide)
6. "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not," Arctic Monkeys (Domino)
7. "A Present From The Past," The Soundtrack Of Our Lives (Warner Bros.)
8. "Children Of Nuggets," Various Artists (Rhino)
9. "Into The Harbour," Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes (Leyroy)
10. "A Beat Missing Or A Silence Added," The Vacancies (Blackheart)