Local police suspect 'bad batch of drugs' caused one man's death and the illnesses of five other concertgoers.
A 30-year-old man died and five others became ill after attending Manchester, England's Warehouse Project event Friday night (Sept. 27) featuring music by Armand van Helden, Axwell and others, the BBC's website has reported.
The police suspect the concertgoers were rushed to the hospital after taking a drug believed to be ecstasy, according to the BBC. The report quotes Detective Inspector Aaron Duggan saying, "It is possible that there may be a particularly bad batch of drugs out there in the community and that is a concern to us." Ch. Supt. Mark Roberts, the BBC reports, said, "We have seen different drugs from different suppliers… One has sadly led to the death of someone - someone else has been seriously ill - so there is a really chance that if you take these drugs, you could become very ill or die."
The Warehouse Project has posted a statement on its website offering condolences and noting that they are working with the police. "Everyone at The Warehouse Project are devastated about the news and our condolences are with his family," the statement says, in part.
The statement goes on to say, "The Warehouse Project are assisting the police with their ongoing enquiries surrounding the circumstances of the man’s death. They have suggested that there may have been a bad batch of ecstasy in circulation as others who attended last nights event are also unwell." The posting also notes that the Warehouse Project has a "zero tolerance policy with regards to drugs," but advises clubgoers, "if you have taken something and start to feel unwell please tell a member of staff. There is a team of trained medics on site every night."
The Warehouse Project death yesterday is sadly not the only recent dance music event-related tragedy recently. Earlier this month, the last day of New York City's Electric Zoo festival was cancelled after two concertgoers died of drug overdoses.