Little Steven's Underground Garage column, produced exclusively for Billboard. The charts are a combination of airplay from the Underground Garage format and coolness.Once again we find ourselves stretching our umbrella to include the two most unlikely rock gods since Flo and Eddie left the Turtles.
Jack Black and Kyle Gass are Tenacious D, and if we didn't give them sanctuary along with our other freaks, misfits and outcasts, who would? Good luck finding a '70s folk/metal chart.
It all began in the Mississippi Delta on Stovall's plantation way back in the 20th century—in other words, 1985 Los Angeles, where they met as members of the Actors' Gang theater troop.
They started playing music together, and HBO gave them a series about a new band trying to make it in the business.
Only two shows aired (what does HBO know?), but four more episodes would be included in 2003's "The Complete Master Works" of Tenacious D.
They are now a major motion picture—"The Pick of Destiny," which opens this week.
The plot includes their fictional beginning and rise to superstardom, and includes Meat Loaf and Ronnie James Dio in the cast. This could be bigger than "Borat."
In lesser news, Clear Channel, which owns 1,150 radio stations, is being purchased by Thomas H. Lee Partners and Bain Capital, some of the same cats who scored Warner Music Group recently. Publishing catalog is one thing, but radio ownership brings very significant obligations and consequences to our culture. I want Thomas Lee and Bain to know I'm available 24/7 for consultation and advice.
See you on the radio.
COOLEST GARAGE SONGS
1. "POD," Tenacious D
2. "Favorite Son," Green Day
3. "So Romantic," the Charms
4. "Dance Like a Monkey," New York Dolls
5. "Ridin' the Hook," Spongebob & the Hi-Seas
6. "Wreck This Heart," Bob Seger
7. "Stranger in the house," the Paybacks
8. "Wanna," the Stabilisers
9. "Never Gonna Die," the Shys
10. "Pink Cadillac," Jerry Lee Lewis with Bruce Springsteen
COOLEST GARAGE ALBUMS
1. "The Pick of Destiny," Tenacious D
2. "Last Man Standing," Jerry Lee Lewis
3. "Shine On," Jet
4. "Broken Boy Soldiers," the Raconteurs
5. "Rockford," Cheap Trick
6. "On Day It Will Please Us to Remember Even This," New York Dolls
7. "Riot City Blues," Primal Scream
8. "Sinner," Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
9. "The Rise and Fall of Butch Walker & the Let's Go Out Tonites," Butch Walker & the Let's Go Out Tonites
10. "Astoria," the Shys