Insider Tips: Snoop Won't Rap, Marilyn Manson's "Calfornication" Plan & More
The hot days of midsummer are here, but don't let that keep you from fresh insider music information. For the rest of beach season, Billboard.com is bringing you a weekly heads-up of music-related suggestions, tips, and key recommendations -- all designed to keep you in the know.
This week, find out how to be a VIP at Billboard's party featuring Of Monsters and Men during Lollapalooza weekend in Chicago, why Snoop Lion wont rap, Yeasayer's surprise, Marilyn Manson's small screen plans, and Jojo's collab wishes.
| Why Snoop Lion Won't Rap |
| Yeasayer Didn't Expect S.S. Coachella Call |
Psych-rock troupe Yeasayer, whose new album "Fragrant World" is out Aug. 21, will set sail on the first-ever Coachella Cruise this December, alongside indie-rock acts like Pulp, Hot Chip and Sleigh Bells. The group's Anand Wilder tells Billboard that being part of the inaugural S.S. Coachella is awesome for Yeasayer -- but that the trio was just as surprised to be on the lineup as fans were when the bill was announced last month. "We heard rumblings three, four months ago, and we were always kind of not holding our breath," admits Wilder. "We were just incredulous that it would actually happen. Then, it popped up online, and there we are: Pulp, Hot Chip and Yeasayer." Not that the band minded the surprise: "It just was one of those things that you hear about, and we're like, 'Fuck yeah, let's do it, that sounds awesome.'"
| Marilyn Manson To Stop By "Californication" |
After David Duchovny hung out with the RZA for most of season 5 of "Californication," the Showtime show will welcome another music star, Marilyn Manson, in the final episode of the upcoming sixth season. The show's next season will feature a fictional rock star from Australia, and for the finale, which was filmed at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, the show brought in Manson for the performance. A date has not yet been set for the season six premiere.
| JoJo Wants To Work With Flying Lotus |
JoJo is already working with producers like Noah "40" Shebib, Da Internz and Kadis & Sean on her long-delayed third album, which will revamp her formerly bubblegum sound with adult R&B stylings. As for collaborators on her wish list, she's got another experimental studio whiz in mind. "I'd really like to work with Flying Lotus," says JoJo of the Los Angeles producer, who's readying his own album, "Until The Quiet Comes," for an October release. "I just want to go where the cool music is, wherever that is. I don't discriminate!"
Text by Phil Gallo, Jessica Letkemann, Jason Lipshutz and Erika Ramirez.
BILLBOARD CHICAGO PARTY VIP PASS SWEEPSTAKES
1. No Purchase Necessary to enter or win. A Purchase will not increase your chances of winning.
To Enter: Click on the "Insider Tips: Snoop Won't Rap, Marilyn Manson's "Californication Plan & More" article on Billboard.com, complete and submit the online registration, anytime between 12:00 PM Eastern Time (ET) on AUGUST 3, 2012 and AUGUST 4, 2012 at 5pm ET. Limit one entry per person per day during the sweepstakes period. Anyone submitting multiple registrations/entries or invalid personal information may be disqualified from sweepstakes drawing. Registrations/entries must be complete and received by AUGUST 5, 2012 to be eligible.
3. Drawing: On or about August 4, 2012 winners will be selected via random drawing from among all eligible entries received. Drawing will be conducted by Sponsor, whose decisions in all matters relating to this sweepstakes are final. Potential winner will be notified by Sponsor, via email or telephone, to the address provided during registration, with follow-up documentation sent via US mail or courier after email response is received. Potential winner must respond to the email notification within 3 days, and will be required to complete and have notarized an Affidavit of Eligibility and liability/publicity release that must be returned and received within 14 days of the date mailed to the potential winner, or prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected. Odds of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.
4. Prize: One (1) Prize. The Prize consists of two (2) VIP passes to Billboard's party at the Double Door in Chicago, IL on August 5, 2012. Approximate retail value of the Prize is zero U.S. dollars ($0.00). Any other costs associated with the tickets are the winner's responsibility, and are not included. Please note that the prize only includes the tickets; no travel is included in the prize. Winner is solely responsible for any federal, state, or local taxes on the value of the prize, and will be issued an IRS 1099-MISC tax form for the final value of the prize. Winner and guest are responsible for any other expenses not listed in these Official Rules. Prize or parts thereof may not be transferred or redeemed for cash, except as specified above. Except where otherwise expressly noted in these Official Rules, the selection of all vendors, prizes, products and services is subject to the Sweepstakes Entities' sole and absolute discretion. Prize (and/or any portion thereof) is nontransferable and non-exchangeable. No substitutions or cash redemption of Prize is permitted except that Sponsor retains the right to substitute a Prize of equal or greater retail value (or at Sponsor's election, the cash value of the applicable prize). Additional restrictions may apply. All other expenses not specifically mentioned herein are the sole responsibility of the Winner and his or her Guest. Due to the nature of the Prize, Sponsor is not responsible if any of the Events are cancelled. In no event will Sponsor be obligated to award more than the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules.
5. Limitation of Liability: Sponsor and its promotion partners, independent judging organization, and their affiliates are not responsible for typographical errors in any sweepstakes-related materials; for lost, late, misdirected, or incomplete registrations/entries or email; for technical, hardware, software, Internet, or telephone failures of any kind; for lost or unavailable network connections; for viruses; or for failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions that may limit or interfere with a participant's ability to take part in the promotion. Entries generated by script, macro, or other automated entry devices are not valid and will be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify promotion if fraud or technical failure compromises the integrity of the promotion, or corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness, or proper play of the sweepstakes, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor and its promotion partners, related companies, agencies, and their respective employees or officers shall not be liable for injury, losses, damages, or costs of any kind resulting from participation in this promotion, or acceptance of or use or misuse of a prize or parts thereof. Sponsor is solely responsible for the administration and execution of this promotion.
6. Dispute Resolution: THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE STATE OF NEW YORK, WITHOUT REGARD TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Sweepstakes, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in New York County having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys' fees, other than participants' actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
7. Winner List: For the name and city/state of residence of Winner, send a self-addressed, stamped, #10 envelope (after 8/2/12 but no later than 9/30/12) to: Billboard Chicago Party Contest Winner Request, at Sponsors address below. VT residents may omit return postage. Do not send any other correspondence to this address.
8. Sponsor: Billboard, a division of Prometheus Global Media, LLC, which has its principal place of business at 770 Broadway, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10003.