Billboard Music Awards
- Ben Folds Talks Performing With Kesha at Billboard Music Awards: 'It Is a Declaration of Independence'
- Ariana Grande at Billboard Music Awards 2016 Red Carpet
- Serayah at the Billboard Music Awards 2016 Red Carpet
- Celine Dion at the Billboard Music Awards 2016
- Fifth Harmony at the Billboard Music Awards 2016 Red Carpet
- Tove Lo at the Billboard Music Awards 2016 Red Carpet
- Laverne Cox at the Billboard Music Awards 2016 Red Carpet
- Lukas Graham at the Billboard Music Awards 2016 Red Carpet
- Lindsey Stirling at the Billboard Music Awards 2016 Red Carpet
- Halsey at the Billboard Music Awards 2016 Red Carpet
MC Asher Roth Readying Major-Label Debut
New Universal rapper Asher Roth is putting the finishing touches on his debut album, tentatively titled "Asleep in the Bread Aisle" and due April 21.
Roth told media at a listening event Tuesday Feb. 3) that the project is still a work in progress, and that's awaiting features from Ludacris, Cee-Lo and possibly Lady Gaga for the tracks "Leo The Lion," "Be By Myself" and "She Don't Want A Man," respectively.
A Morristown, Pa., native, 21 year-old Roth signed with Universal in 2008 after his now-manager, Scooter, heard several songs on MySpace which Roth recorded while attending West Chester University of Pennsylvania. Scooter quickly invited the MC to Atlanta for business meetings and he landed on Universal shortly after.
Now, following numerous online song releases like upcoming first single "College" through hip-hop Web site like Onsmash.com and NahRight.com, Roth is aiming to release an album that will appeal to both college-age and adult fans.
On "Asleep in the Bread Aisle," known producers like Don Cannon contribute, but newcomer Oren Yoel crafted the bulk of the album's beats. His mixture of boom-bap drums and pop sensibility mixes well with Roth's happy-go-lucky and sincere rhymes. On cuts like the comical "Bad Day," Roth describes a plane trip to a wedding in New York, where he's stuck between a screaming baby and an over-sized seatmate.
And on "As I Em," which samples the theme from the TV show "Action Jackson," Roth, who is white, addresses comparisons to Eminem.
"He paved the way for me. Since we've got the same complexion and the same voice inflection its easy to make the comparison," he rhymes. "If you have no more questions and no more thoughts, I'd like to introduce you to Asher Roth."
Here is the track listing thus far for "Asleep In The Bread Aisle":
"Lark On My Go-Cart"
"I Love College"
"Bad Day" ft. Jazze Pha
"Be By Myself" ft. Cee-Lo
"Sour Patch Kids"
"She Don't Want A Man"
"As I Em" ft. Chester French
"His Dream" ft. Miguel
"Leo The Lion"
"Nothing You Can't Do"