With so many songs written about the ups and downs of love, music is the perfect compliment to how you're feeling about your significant (or not so significant) other. But which songs get the most play during the most intense relationship moments?
In honor of Valentine's Day, social networking giant Facebook has revealed the top relationship and breakup songs, according to data gathered from the platform over the past 3 months. To tabulate the results, Facebook has taken into account plays across listen applications compared to when people add relationships or end relationships via the Facebook Timeline’s Life Event feature. And the songs people choose to post after changing their relationship statuses may surprise you.
It seems Facebook users will post just about any feel-good jam when they couple up. Case in point- the chart-topping "Thrift Shop" is primarily concerned with copping retro styles (rather than getting romantic), yet it topped the list.
Aside from “Thrift Shop,” Juicy J’s “Bandz A Make Her Dance,” Hunter Hayes’ “Wanted,” and several of today’s top charting singles are just a few of the top tracks that have inspired romance among Facebook users. The breakup list is more revealing, however, as Cher Lloyd’s “Want U Back,” Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” and Drake's “Marvin’s Room" -- the kingpin of all emo rap tracks -- are among the top tunes listened to by Facebook users in order to drown out their sorrow. Appropriately, Taylor Swift is the only artist to have two songs on the breakup list.
At any rate, here are the top relationship and breakup songs, as chosen by Facebook users everywhere. However, we don't necessarily condone picking out of the first list for that special someone's Valentine's Day mixtape.
Top 10 Relationship Songs
1. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – feat. Wanz
2. "Bandz A Make Her Dance" - Juicy J feat. Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz
3. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am & Britney Spears
4. "Wanted" - Hunter Hayes
5. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers
6. "Beauty And A Beat" - Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj
7. "I Don't Want This Night To End" - Luke Bryan
8. "Drunk On You" - Luke Bryan
9. "A Thousand Years" - Christina Perri
10. "F**ckin' Problems" - ASAP Rocky feat. Drake, 2 Chainz & Kendrick Lamar
Top 10 Breakup Songs
1. "Wide Awake" - Katy Perry
2. "Want U Back" - Cher Lloyd
3. "Whistle" - Flo Rida
4. "Marvins Room" - Drake
5. "Everybody Talks" - Neon Trees
6. "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" - Taylor Swift
7. "One More Night" - Maroon 5
8. "Both of Us" - Taylor Swift feat. B.o.B
9. "Payphone" - Maroon 5 and Wiz Khalifa
10. "Give Your Heart a Break" - Demi Lovato
How accurate do you think Facebook’s findings are? Tell us your top breakup/love song in the comments below.