2017 BET Awards
Billboard Names 2008 'Green 10' Artists
Going green has become top of mind for artist big and small in the past few years, via everything from carbon offsets to philanthropy.Going green has become top of mind for artist big and small in the past few years, via everything from carbon offsets to philanthropy. Billboard has spotlighted 10 acts that, through their actions in the past 12 months, are making a major difference with environmental issues and inspiring their peers to do the same.
10. The Roots: The Roots have taken autographing to a new level. At this year's edition of their annual pre-Grammy Awards all-star jam session, the Philadelphia-based hip-hop crew gave away signed compost bins in an effort to promote the practice.
9. Missy Higgins: This Australian singer/songwriter spent two weeks traveling across the United States in a hybrid Prius this year, posting Web documentaries of stops at locations like the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., and the Mountain View Montessori School, a green elementary school.
8. Radiohead: Delivering its album "In Rainbows" as a price-optional digital download before putting a physical product in stores last year prevented the manufacture and disposal of thousands of CDs. The British band travels unwillingly and when it does leave home, Thom Yorke and his bandmates partner with consulting firm Best Foot Forward to help reduce their carbon footprints.
7. Serj Tankian: The System Of A Down frontman-turned-solo artist has founded skyisover.net to connect fans to environmental and social justice organizations. He also founded a nonprofit, Axis of Justice, with Rage Against The Machine guitarist Tom Morello and is working with environmental nonprofit Reverb to ensure his current tour leaves only a small carbon footprint.
6. Pearl Jam: Drummer Matt Cameron played a January benefit for flood victims in Central Washington, while guitarist Stone Gossard helped plant vegetation in a Seattle park ravaged by English Ivy. The group is also actively working to reduce the carbon footprint of its 2008 summer tour.
Click here to find out which artists made positions five through one on the 2008 Billboard Green 10.