DJ Rashad’s untimely death was due to a drug overdose.
That’s the conclusion from the house DJ’s toxicological test results, which have revealed heroin, cocaine and alprazolam (Xanax) was in his system when he died April 26 in his hometown, Chicago, according to reports.
The footwork mastermind DJ’s death has been ruled an accident by medical officials, NBC Chicago.
Until now, DJ Rashad’s cause of death had remained inconclusive. The producer, born Rashad Hanif Harden, passed away on Chicago's Lower West Side at the age of 34. A subsequent autopsy was indecisive, and some had blamed a blood clot for his passing. There were no visible signs of injury and the Chicago police suspected that Rashad had died of an overdose due to "drugs and drug paraphernalia found near the body," the Chicago Sun-Times reported at the time.
The late artist was respected as a major player in the evolution from ghetto house to Chicago juke to footwork. His last LP, "Double Cup," came in late 2014 and in early April of this year, he dropped the EP "We On 1.”
As a producer, one of his career highlights came in October 2013 with the release of his album Double Cup on Hyperdub Records, featuring collaborations with DJ Spinn, Taso, DJ Phil, Manny, Earl and Addison Groove. His last performance as a DJ was at Vinyl Club in Denver, CO on April 24 of this year.
Berlin dance label Leisure System recently issued a recording of the late DJ’s first-ever performance in Germany.